Friday, July 22, 2011

Photo-finish Friday: desert town


There's a raw, unfinished quality about desert towns that appeals to me. It's the romance of anti-romance maybe. I'm talking about the parts that are unprettified, unlike the gated neighborhoods with their manicured landscaping and absurd grass lawns. Here vacant lots mix with houses that have had the time to show their age, with full grown trees and whatever else has survived over the years, often twisted by the winds. Rocks, which are plentiful and don't blow away, might be arranged in some way, maybe along a property line.

Few signs of life, people staying in out of the sun. School kids indifferent to the heat and going somewhere, on foot or skateboards. Probably aching to be anywhere but here in the middle of nowhere. No sidewalks. Cars and trucks parked in the street. You get a sense of the human tenacity that clings to a spot on earth, no matter how unwelcoming, with little to offer but its own stark beauty.

Photo-finish Friday is the bright idea of Leah Utas over at The Goat's Lunch Pail.

11 comments:

  1. I like it when a place looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent photo --magnificent clouds. My kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathize with the staying in out of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the desert. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful clouds hanging over the mountains and looks like they're coming to town. Maybe a little rain?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A raw, unfinished quality." That really sums it up perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like my kind of place--except for the heat. Great Photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said to Chris LeTray earlier, hard to believe this is the same country I live in. I wish I had a guide to this terrain. I know I would miss so much exploring it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photo Ron. Am currently reading Kerouac's On The Road, love his descriptions of the 50s American landscapes

    ReplyDelete