Saturday, January 21, 2012

Western writer inspiration, no. 21

Here is the #westernwriter inspiration omnibus of Old West images posted during the past week on twitter. Feel free to follow me there @rdscheer. Click each pic to enlarge.

Batoche, Saskatchewan, 1885
"Moonlight Tower," arc light tower, San Jose, California, 1881
Curecanti Needle, Colorado, c1884
Bozeman Pass, Montana, c1884
Canadian Pacific Railway construction, Fraser River valley, British Columbia, 1881
Hanging of a horse thief, Oregon, 1900
Parade, Deadwood, South Dakota, 1888

Image credits: Wikimedia Commons

Coming up: Old West glossary

6 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by shots of Deadwood. It's always more modern and colorful than I had imagined it.

    Thanks for the pics, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That horse thief hanging reminds me of the setting in Once upon a time in the west where the man is hung with his brother trying to hold him up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batoche, Saskatchewan, looks a bit like my old home town in Utah in the 1930's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The horse thief hanging reminds me of "The Oxbow Incident"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to watch the next time I drive over Bozeman Pass to see If I can tell where that photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of the hanging of the horse thief is chilling. The whole thing seems like a routine affair for those on the scene. Since this picture was taken in 1900 it mustn't have been long before Oregon and other states outlawed hanging for a lesser crime like stealing a horse, or rustling.

    ReplyDelete