Friday, October 7, 2011

Photo-finish Friday: out and about


What you miss with this photo is the thunderous sound of a huge marching band, which is having practice outside whenever I get off work. Backs to us is a row of 23 bass horn players. As a high school bass horn player, I know what it's like to pack, unpack, travel, march, and do routines with those big cumbersome instruments. So whenever I see a marching band, my attention is immediately drawn to them.

The band leader, whose voice betrays years of being yelled into permanent hoarseness, is amplified and runs the show like General Patton. In fact, I think of this band as the nearest thing to a paramilitary organization. They make such a powerful sound, you can hear them for blocks.

Photo-finish Friday is the bright idea of Leah Utas over at The Goat’s Lunchpail.

2 comments:

  1. I do enjoy seeing a band marching. The moving wall of sound is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, thanks for coming by.

    Charles, you feel the sound waves go right through your body.

    ReplyDelete